On Sunday, February 5, the parish council of St. Paul’s announced a major beautification project to enhance the visibility and beauty of the front of our temple and parish hall.
Above are “Before” and “After” images of the front of St. Paul Orthodox Church (Emmaus, PA). (Click for larger versions.)
The “After” is a conceptual artist’s rendering for a beautification project that should in its first phase be underway in the near future. This is the fruit of a lot of work by our parish council, especially with design work by Michael Sayre and a lot of input and logistical work from Joe Dunski, our maintenance committee head.
The “After” is just a conceptual drawing at this point — various things will likely change, and those icons you see are probably not the final images but are place-holders for the time being until we can finalize some images that we can use.
Large prints of these images are now in the narthex. Also included is a much more detailed list of the things that are going to be done, including replacement of most of our external doors. (That list is also below.)
If you’re interested in making a donation (no matter how large or how small!) to this project, perhaps in memory of a loved one or in honor of their continued health, you can speak with Fr. Andrew or any member of our parish council. You can also just drop a donation in the basket — be sure that it’s marked “beautification project” and that your envelope includes any names you would like remembered in prayer.
Please consider giving what you can toward this project — no matter how big or how small.
We will soon be getting estimates for more of the work that is needed to be done, and we’ve already received a significant amount in donations so far. This is your chance to make your mark for the beauty and visibility of our parish building. Both your prayers and your donations are needed!
Program of Repairs and Enhancements to Façade and Entranceways
– Replace 3 front doors and 1 rear door
– Replace portico columns
– Remove window shutters
– Remove exterior sconce lights at doorways
– Replace all portico aluminum fascia and soffit trim
– Remove concrete walkway between central doorway and social hall doorway
– Install 4’x2’ banner on telephone pole at sidewalk
– Repaint church name letters all white
– Add angel figures to left and right of cross above church name
– Add iconographic images to pediments (upper triangular front face of portico)
– Relocate double doors to central doorway
– New single door design with semicircular windows
– New double door design with split semicircular windows
– Add new classical style columns
– Change color of all portico soffits (undersides) to blue
– Install new recessed lighting in 3 portico soffits
– Add down lighting to illuminate the 3 pediment icon images
– Add landscaping between central doorway and social hall doorway
– Add parking bumpers in front of new landscaping
– Paint central entranceway pavement blue
– Add ‘kissing’ icons to central doorway to left and right of double doors
– Refurbish exterior illuminated bulletin board at left side of social hall doorway
– Add ‘greeting’ icon (Meeting on Road to Emmaus) to right side of social hall doorway
– Complete central entranceway with new cross mounted to top of pediment